Monday, August 6, 2007

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Cemeteries

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Cemeteries

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of, or in, a cemetery. Your local cemetery is good, but if you've been to, say, Paris, to see Jim Morrison's grave, or took some arty shots of an ornate headstone elsewhere, something like that works, too.

(side note:  I will be updating soon, but wanted to just take a moment to post my entry for today's shoot.  I'm also trying to catch up on all your wonderful words, as accessing journals has truly become a timely matter, with the recent DRAWL...  (NO, not mine, AOLs!  ;o) )

Meet the neighbors...  ::smile::   This picturesque dwelling place sits alongside the condominium complex where I live.  Many of the names are familiar to me, some more so than others.  While I won't say that it is my most favorite part of living where I do, I must admit that I never hesitate to allow my eyes to wander over it's beauty as I pass each day.

There is a small wooded area that shields the view of the cemetery from my front door, as well as a fence running alongside the boundaries.  When the girls were young, we spent a lot of time up in the woods there at that fence.  We built fairy houses out of twigs, leaves and rocks (or anything else we could find), and we even created our own "secret" spot for some memorable friends...  Purdy the Cockatiel, Pepper the Guinea Pig, and a poor, innocent newborn chickadee that fell from his nest prematurely. 

The girls seem to be too old for such games now.  We rarely go up there anymore.  But there were many memorable moments shared with our peaceful neighbors once upon a time.  Just ask the fairies...  ::smiling::

This is the entrance to the woods ~ our own little enchanted place:

 

 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like cemeteries also...yours looks like a great place.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about shooting a cemetary for about a year now.  I just for some reason can't bring myself to do it.  There is something peaceful about them, and there are always great natural lines formed by the markers.  However, since I would be intending on photographing something to sell, it feels like I would be profitting off of someone elses loss, and documenting something private and full of emotion.  At any rate, your picture embodies the serenity that I have always appreciated about cemetaries.  Well done for the Photo Shoot.  What can I say about the enchanted woods...The rainbow says it all.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I have a facination with grave sites.  There's so much history located there!  I'm glad you left a link to your journal at mine.  I've added you to my alerts!
Missie

Anonymous said...

You told such a sweet story about a place with such a negative view from most.   There can be something magical about cemeteries...you just proved that with your photo and description.    
Well done!
Love,
Nancy
PS.  A fairy told me to tell you, "Please come back and visit"..."Oh, and bring the girls".

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful.  And I love the memories you have of playing near there when you were little!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was reading old posts of mine and saw a comment from you asking to link to my journal.  If it's okay, I'd like to add your link to my journal too.

Hugggggggggggggggz,
Taylor

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, wonderful memories with the girls. I think the sleeping neighbors were definitely enchanted fairies and all. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures. I should have done this one too. Love the entrance to the enchanted place. Just beautiful.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Captured a rainbow. It goes with this shoot.  Nice.  Gerry